Federal Fugitive Arrested In Wyoming
A federal fugitive with a long history of felony convictions was arrested Friday afternoon in Rock Springs, according to Sweetwater County Sheriff Mike Lowell.
The Sheriff says 41-year-old Jerry Romero was arrested in Gateway Village Mobile Home Park by a team of sheriff's deputies, Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation agents and United States Marshals. Sheriff Lowell says Romero was wanted for probation violation on an original charge of being a felon in possession of a firearm.
As the team of law enforcement officers closed in, the sheriff says Romero attempted to draw a Taurus Judge shotgun revolver [pictured below], but apparently couldn't get the gun out of his holster. Although he was tackled by three of the pursuing officers, he continued to fight back and kept trying to draw his gun, but was handcuffed after officers used a taser on him.
The sheriff says after the arrest, detectives found 26 grams of methamphetamine in Romero's hat. Because two toddlers and an infant were at the home where Romero was staying, he has been charged with child endangerment with methamphetamine.
He is also charged with attempted aggravated assault, attempted use of a firearm while committing a felony, possession of a deadly weapon with unlawful intent, wearing or carrying a concealed weapon, possession of a controlled substance, possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute, and interference with a peace officer.
Sheriff Lowell says Romero has a long list of criminal convictions, including the following:
· Tamper with Evidence - District Court, Salt Lake City, Utah - June 9, 1998 (Sentenced to 0-5 years.)
· Weapon Offense - United States District Court - October 27, 2005 (Sentenced to 24 months, plus three years supervised release.)
· Felon in Possession of a Firearm - United States District Court - January 29, 2013 (Sentenced to 38 months.)
· Receiving Stolen Vehicle - 3rd District Court, Salt Lake City, Utah - April 15, 2016
· Possession of Controlled Substance with Intent to Distribute - 3rd District Court, Salt Lake City, Utah - April 15, 2016