Wyoming residents are being urged to test their homes for radon, an odorless, colorless gas that is a known carcinogen.

Radon is created when radium in the soil degrades. It is a naturally radioactive gas that is found in rocks, soil, and water, according to a release from the Wyoming Department of Health.

It can seep into your home, get trapped inside and build in intensity, according to Allie Bain, Wyoming Integrated Cancer Services Program outreach and education supervisor.

She says radon is recognized as the second leading cause of lung cancer, after smoking.

While all homes have some radon, if it reaches dangerous levels modifications can be made to reduce the risk of cancer. The Wyoming Integrated Cancer Services Program is offering low-cost radon test kits online or by calling 307-777-6015.