(UWYO.EDU) Coming off registering 4 goals in Friday's season opener, the University of Wyoming women's soccer team collected 17 shots but couldn't find the back of the net as the Cowgirls finished with a double-overtime 0-0 draw, against Montana on Sunday in Missoula, Mont.


The overtime contest was the first for the Cowgirls, who move to 1-0-1 on the season, while Montana now owns a 0-0-2 mark. Wyoming had six corner shots to Montana's two and ended the match with one more shot attempt than the Grizzlies, three of which were on goal.

The Cowgirls were led with four shots by Ramsay, while O'Reilly, Meyer, Dunda, Paul and McDowell took two shots each. Clarke, Mohtadi and Curtis each added one shot. Ramsay, Paul, and McDowell led the Cowgirls in shots on goal, with one a piece. Junior goalkeeper Alex Boehm finished the match with five saves as she notched her first career shutout. Boehm gave up a goal early in the second half against TCU in the 46th minute but now has not given up a goal in 154 minutes.

In the first half, the Cowgirls outshot the Grizzlies, 9-4 with senior forward Lucie McDowell taking the first attempt of the match in the third minute that was saved by Montana's goalkeeper Kendra McMillen. In the seventh minute, senior forward Olivia Mohtadi added another opportunity for the Cowgirl offense, as she fired a shot that went high of the crossbar.

Junior forward Sara Paul had back-to-back shots in the 11th minute. The first attempt was blocked by a Montana defender, Paul then quickly got the rebound before her second attempt was saved by McMillen. A shot by freshman midfielder Mandy Meyer in the 12th minute went just right of goal, as fellow freshman defender Sammi Dunda's 15th minute shot went high.

Senior midfielder Liz O'Reilly, who had the game winning goal during Friday's contest against TCU, made her first attempt of Sunday's game in the 17th minute. The last shots in the first half for the Cowgirls were by Meyer in the 21st minute and sophomore midfielder Mollee Ramsay in the 28th minute.

Montana started out on the attack early in the second half, as the Griz were able to get two shots within the first five minutes. Montana picked up their defensive play and held the Cowgirls to three second half shots that were taken by Cowgirls' Ramsay in the 50th minute, O'Reilly in the 74th minute and junior defender Kasey Curtis in the 80th minute. Each were either high or blocked by UM's goalkeeper. At the end of regulation, Wyoming held a 12-11 shot advantage.

The first overtime was much like the second half for the Cowgirls. Wyoming was hardly able to get any offensive opportunities being limited to only two shots. Dunda had the Cowgirls first overtime attempt in the 97th minute andMollee Ramsay made the final attempt that was once again saved by McMillen.

In the final overtime period, the Cowgirls outshot the Grizzlies, 3-2. McDowell started things off with a shot that was blocked then Ramsay made an attempt that was saved by McMillen. Junior midfielder Alison Clarke made the final attempt for the Cowgirls in the 107th minute that resulted in being just high of the crossbar.

"It's great to come up here with four quality teams and win the tournament," said head coach Pete Cuadrado.

Wyoming will continue its season on Friday, Aug. 30, as the Cowgirls will host South Dakota, at 4 p.m. for the home opener at the Louis S. Madrid Sports Complex.

More From Laramie Live