Interfaith-Good Samaritan to Host Food Drop Thursday
Laramie Interfaith-Good Samaritan is hosting bulk food drop this Thursday, May 31st in Laramie.
The event will run from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the south gym of the Laramie Plains Civic Center at 710 E. Garfield Street. Among the items to be distributed will be sliced turkey, Pastaroni and pasta sauce.
Interfaith-Good Samaritan Director Mike Vercauteren said that participation in Food Bank of the Rockies commodities distribution is limited to those who qualify through income limitations. He says those who are not sure if they qualify can call Interfaith-Good Samaritan at 307-742- 4240.
Vercauteren said for those who don’t need food assistance, the best way to help is to spread awareness to encourage people who need assistance to get help. Vercauteren said the food they receive for the food drops comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, who provides food to Interfaith Good-Samaritan based on the number of people signed up for nutrition assistance programs.
“The amount of food we get is based on the number of people we have who have applied for food stamps,” Vercauteren said. “We do need them to sign up.”
He said only about 42 percent of eligible people in Albany County have signed up for food stamps, meaning the other 58 percent are not taking advantage of the resources available to them.
Food will be distributed to those in need on a first come, first served basis.