Cowgirls sweep Nevada, 4-0
LARAMIE -- The Wyoming Cowgirl tennis team made quick work of Nevada Saturday morning in Laramie, winning 4-0 in the Cowgirls’ first home Mountain West match in nearly two years.
UW evened its conference mark to 2-2 on the season with the victory.
“I thought we stuck to our plan today, so I thought that was good,” said UW head coach Dean Clower. “This is probably the first match all year where we had a good plan on every single court, and the girls didn’t veer away from it and they stuck to it and I was proud of that.”
Wyoming (8-6, 2-2 MW) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead thanks to a pair of 6-1 victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles spots, to secure the doubles’ point. The tandem of Noesjka Brink and Maria Oreshkina defeated Nevada’s Cristina Moll Alles and Carl Del Barrio at the No. 1 position. At the third spot, it was Mihaela Kaftanova and Ida Krause, who picked up the win.
The Cowgirls secured the match win by taking the first three singles’ matches on the day. Ana Fernandez got things going with a quick, 6-1 and 6-1 victory at the No. 3 spot over the Wolf Pack’s Moll Alles. At the No. 4 position, Brink won her sixth consecutive match, defeating Selina Turulja, 6-2 and 6-3. Maria Oreshkina secured the match victory for the Cowgirls at the No. 1 singles spot, defeating Anastasia Luneva, 6-4 and 6-3.
Wyoming will now look to make it a perfect weekend Sunday afternoon in a match against Fresno State. First serve is set for 1 p.m., from Laramie.
“Tomorrow we have to come out and stick to our guns against Fresno. They’re a good team, so if have to stick to being us,” continued Clower.
Wyoming vs. Nevada
4/10/21 at Laramie, Wyo.
Wyoming 4, Nevada 0
1. Noesjka Brink/Maria Oreshkina (WYO) def. Cristina Moll Alles/Carla Del Barrio (Nev) 6-1
2. Ana Fernandez/Sophie Zehender (WYO) vs. Isabella Nunez/Anastasia Luneva (Nev) unfinished
3. Mihaela Kaftanova/Ida Krause (WYO) def. Milka Genkova/Selina Turulja (Nev) 6-1
1. Oreshkina (WYO) def. Luneva (Nev) 6-4, 6-3
2. Zehender (WYO) vs. Genkova (Nev) unfinished
3. Fernandez (WYO) def. Moll Alles (Nev) 6-1, 6-1
4. Brink (WYO) def. Turulja (Nev) 6-2, 6-3
5. Malinak (WYO) vs. Del Barrio (Nev) unfinished
6. Kaftanova (WYO) vs. Nunez (Nev) unfinished
* University of Wyoming press release