An Easter Weekend Photo Gallery of Historic Wyoming Churches
As Christians across the Cowboy State prepare to celebrate Easter, here's an amazing gallery of photographs from the Wyoming State Archives featuring some of our most historic churches.
There are over 400 pictures of churches in the State Archives Photo Database. These are few of our favorites.
From 1868 to 1886, this building was the original home of St. Mark's Espiscopal Church in Cheyenne.
This old log cabin, built in the early 1900s, was the site of the first church in the town of Kelly, Wyoming. Sadly, it was destroyed by a flood in 1927.
In 1906, these boys turned in old oil drum into a church bell outside of this tent in Worland.
In 1909, this tent was the site of the first Congregational Church in Riverton.
The legendary Church of the Transfiguration, which still stands to this day outside of Grand Teton National Park in Moose, Wyoming.
In 1932, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt attended Sunday morning service at St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Cheyenne.
An advertisement for the First Congregatonal Church in Casper, circa the 1940s. Notice that "stranglers" were welcome to attend; along with stragglers, we presume.
Second Baptist Church in Cheyenne was Wyoming's first African American congregation and has been going strong since 1884.
This picture of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Casper was taken in 1945.
Patrick Aloysius Alphonsus McGovern, shown here in 1915, served as Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Cheyenne from 1912 until his death in 1951.
LOOK: Pictures of Downtown Cheyenne Then and Now