Ghoulish Gaffes You Can Avoid this Halloween
Synonymous with Halloween is the question, “Trick Or Treat?!?!” In fact, this symbolic slogan for dressing up and taking candy from strangers is now more of a verb than it is a question, as in, “I’m going to go trick-or-treating this year, I don’t care if I am a college graduate!” In association with this phrase, we think of candy, costumes, fall colors, pumpkins, we think of fun. Unfortunately for some people though, this phrase and subsequent great opportunity to plunder the neighborhood for candy, has yielded Halloween blunders and a call to the Poison Control Center. We recieved a list of tips from poison control highlighting some of the laughable mistakes from others. Needless to say we made some changes to their tips below; enjoy!
- Glow Sticks. Glow Sticks can enhance parties and costumes. They can also sting if the liquid gets in your mouth or in your eyes. Basically, don’t chew on or open glow sticks- it’s pretty much a dumb idea.
- When giving out candy or treats, be careful. Generally speaking, if you’re giving away treats, you aren’t at risk- unfortunately though, if you’re giving stuff away willy-nilly, it is your responsibility to make sure the innocent adolescent trick-or-treaters aren’t at risk either. Basically, if you’re giving stuff to kids, make sure it isn’t a choking hazard or something that can cause injury to the child- lawsuits suck.
- If you are supervising a group of trick-or-treaters, check the kinds of “treats” the kids get. If you see any treat that is homemade, or any candy that is out of the original wrapper, it might not be a great idea. Basically, if it looks sketch, don’t let your kid eat it. Come on now folks.
- If you have a kid who loves sugary food, but gets sick if they eat a lot of it, try to feed them a big meal before going trick-or-treating, that way they’ll be less tempted to binge later that night when they get home. Basically, trick-or-treating for kids is like grocery shopping with an empty stomach.
- If you have kids who are going to be dressing up to be trick-or-treating, make sure the costumes are warm and non-flammable. If your kid is wearing a mask that is hard for them to see through, take it off when they’re crossing the street. If you’re using face paint, make sure it is non-toxic. Reflective tape is another good idea to add to a costume if you’re going to be trick-or-treating after dark, and carrying a flashlight is a must. Basically, don’t be stupid. These are kids we’re talking about.
- Dry ice is cool- the misty thing is a cool effect, we all love it. What we all DON’T love however is frostbite, which occurs if you touch dry ice. Don’t put small pieces of dry ice into cups, and make sure people don’t try to lick, touch or consume dry ice. Basically, don’t touch dry ice. I shouldn’t have to be saying this. Seriously.
- Keep candy from your pets. Basically, chocolate kills dogs.
As ridiculous and elementary as these might sound, these tips are advisories from Wyoming’s Poison Center. If they are making these advisories, it means that some people out there have done something that needed this kind of advice. If you need advice for any ghoulish gaffes this Halloween, call 1-800-222-1222. Basically, be safe, be smart, have fun.