Ethete Man Sentenced To 108 Years For Sexual Abuse
An Ethete man was sentenced to 108 years of imprisonment after being convicted of 12 counts of sexual abuse last year, according to federal court records.
U.S. District Court Judge Scott Skavdahl handed down the sentence to Marvin Wayne Magnan during a hearing on Monday.
While pointless, Skavdahl also ordered Magnan to lifetime probation upon his release and ordered him to register as a sex offender, according to minutes of the hearing.
The case started according to a criminal complaint filed by a Lander-based FBI agent on April 21, 2016.
In September 2012, the agent interviewed two girls who were in late elementary, middle school and early high school when they said Magnan repeatedly sexually assaulted them in 2005 and 2006.
Magnan told one of the girls to not tell what happened, and she didn’t know the consequences if she did, she told the agent. “But she was aware he yelled at people who did not do what he said and he had a lot of guns,” according to the criminal complaint.
In November 2015, the agent interviewed Magnan who said he had horses at a field about six years earlier. He checked on the horses daily and recalled he took one girl with him several times, and took the other girl on two occasions. He denied having any inappropriate sexual contact.
The alleged incidents occurred in the area of Yellowcalf Road in Ethete, which is in the Wind River Indian Reservation. Magnan is an enrolled member of the Yankton Sioux/Assiniboine Indian Tribe.
The complaint did not state Magnan’s age, nor did it or other court documents explain how the girls came to bring their allegations against him seven and six years later.
On July 20, 2016, a Wyoming federal grand jury handed up a 12-count indictment against Magnan: two counts of aggravated sexual abuse, seven counts of abusive sexual contact, one count of sexual abuse, and two counts of sexual abuse of a minor.
The indictment states the alleged crimes occurred between August 1999 and June 2000; between 2004 and Aug. 13, 2006; between August 2005 and June 2006; between February 2007 and March 2007; between 2008 and 2009; between 2010 and 2011; between May 2010 and August 2011.
The indictment is unclear how many alleged victims were involved. However, some were under 12, and some were between 12 and 16, according to the indictment.
The case went to trial last fall, and a jury found him guilty of all 12 counts on Sept. 22.
Monday, Skavdahl handed down the sentence.